SpaceX and NASA have confirmed that an “anomaly” occurred yesterday during a static fire test of the SuperDraco engines on SpaceX’s Crew Dragon spacecraft. The Crew Dragon spacecraft has eight SuperDraco engines that are used for its abort system in case of an emergency during launch or ascent to orbit. SpaceX is readying for an in-flight abort test as part of its preparations for commercial crew flights to the International Space Station (ISS).
Here is SpacePolicyOnline.com’s list of space policy events for the week of April 21-27, 2019 and any insight we can offer about them. The House and Senate are in recess this week, except for pro forma sessions. They return for legislative business next week.
Margaret Kivelson is the new chair of the Space Studies Board (SSB) of the National Academies of Sciences, Engineering, and Medicine. She succeeds Fiona Harrison who stepped down in order to co-chair the ongoing Decadal Survey on Astronomy and Astrophysics. Harrison was the first woman to chair SSB in its 61-year history. Now Kivelson is the second.
NASA released crew assignments for the International Space Station (ISS) through spring 2020 today. Notable by their absence are flights by the two U.S. commercial crew companies, SpaceX and Boeing. NASA had hoped that U.S. launches of ISS crews would begin this year. Instead, U.S. crew members will be staying for longer periods of time, including what will be a record-breaking mission by Christina Koch. She will remain for almost 11 months, returning in February 2020 instead of this fall.
The Science and Technology Policy Institute’s (STPI’s) independent analysis of the possibility of sending humans to Mars in 2033 concludes that it is “infeasible under all budget scenarios and technology development and testing schedules.” It might be possible for such a mission to depart Earth in 2037, but 2039 is more realistic, the report says. “Mars 2033” became a rallying cry for some human spaceflight enthusiasts during the Obama Administration and although NASA’s plans have changed quite a bit since then, a sizable Mars-or-bust community remains.
New with tags: A brand-new, unused, and unworn item (including handmade items) in the original packaging (such as ... Read moreabout the condition
Here are SpacePolicyOnline.com’s tidbits for April 15, 2019: Beresheet 2 already in the works; Falcon Heavy core stage tips over; Apollo 11’s Mike Collins wants “JFK Direct” to Mars; Skylab and shuttle astronaut Owen Garriott passes away. Be sure to check our website for feature stories and follow us on Twitter (@SpcPlcyOnline) for more news and live tweeting of events.
Here is SpacePolicyOnline.com’s list of space policy events for the next TWO weeks, April 14-27, 2019, and any insight we can offer about them. The House and Senate are in recess until April 29, except for pro forma sessions.
Almost two dozen members of the Senate Armed Services Committee (SASC) quizzed four top military and civilian Pentagon leaders for more than two hours today about why a Space Force is needed and how much it will cost. In the end, there was no consensus from either Republicans or Democrats. Most seem to remain unconvinced that it will add value instead of just more bureaucracy, but are open to further discussions.
The Israeli Beresheet lunar lander failed to make a soft landing on the Moon today, but the effort, led by Israeli non-profit SpaceIL, is being widely hailed nonetheless. Although it did not win the $20 million Google Lunar X-Prize, the X-Prize Foundation decided to award the SpaceIL team $1 million anyway in recognition of reaching lunar orbit. Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, NASA Administrator Jim Bridenstine and Apollo 11 astronaut Buzz Aldrin were among those praising SpaceIL and encouraging them to keep trying.
NASA Administrator Jim Bridenstine said today that NASA is dividing its human lunar exploration program into two phases. Phase 1, to be completed by 2024 as directed by the White House, will focus on getting astronauts to the lunar surface fast. Phase 2, by 2028, will focus on making the program sustainable. The plan itself remains the same as before, but the Administration will request funding to accelerate it by 4 years.
- Audew Double Cylinder Car Air Pump Portable Air Compressor Pump Tire Inflator Pu
- BelAire Iron Series 7.5-HP 80-Gallon Two-Stage Cast Iron Air Compressor (208-...
- EXTECH DA50 Current Detector,7-3 4 In. L
- Lot x3 Yankee Candle 8 oz Girl Scouts Chocolate Peanut Butter Footed Jar Candle
- Ralph Lauren Kimberly Twin comforter. bluee Floral pattern. Beautiful
- Viair Heavy Duty Constant Duty Base Model Kit For up to 37″ Tires P-N 45052
- 40 Ragazze della principessa set di Biancheria Da Letto di Spessore In Pile
- DENA HOME "cornflower" QUILTED 2PC EURO SHAM NIP RARE HARD TO FIND ITEM
- Heavy Weight PEVA Best Shower Curtain With Magnets & Suction Cups - Frost color
- Mgoldccan Watercolor Pink Ogees Painted Purple Mermaid Pillow Sham by Roostery
- Purple Fairy 3D Printing Duvet Quilt Doona Covers Pillow Case Bedding Sets
- Vintage Kantha Quilt Handmade Indian Cotton Bedspread Lot 5 piece
- ECOVACS DEEBOT N79S Self-Charging Robot Vacuum Cleaner with Max Power Suction
- SAMSUNG SC4 VCDC20 Cycloneforce Pet Vacuum Cleaner Micro Dust Sponge Filter x 4
- 1000TC Egyptian Cotton 4PC Bedding Sheet Set Queen Size Solid\Striped colors
- California King Sheets Northern Nights 500TC 100% Cotton Wrinkle Defense Sheets
- Sancarlos Carit Bed Sheets, Pink, 150 cm
- EDDIE BAUER® 400 TC DOWN ALTERNATIVE BODY PILLOW (20 X 48) - MEDIUM DENSITY
- Cynthia Rowley Dachshund Dog Picnic - Beach Blanket with Carrying Bag 50x60 NEW
- New Pottery Barn FOUND SUZANI THROW, Coverlet,Tapestry LARGE 129 x89 MULTICOLOR
- Wypall L10 Lightwgt Utility Wipes - Wipe - 9 Width X 10.25 Length - 250 Box
- Amarine-made 3pcs Stainless Steel Cup Drink Holder with Drain Marine Boat Rv...
- Carver T321-2 Standard Duty Long Reach Moveable Jaw
- Faithfull Combination Spanner CV Satin Finish 46mm FAISPAC46
- Klipsch Speakers Reference Series Set Bundle
- Nera Laccato Metallo Roulotte Campeggio Tacchetti 150mm Pacco da 12 + Viti
- Ryoba 9-1 2 Double Edge Razor Saw for Hardwoods from Japan Woodworker (Saw and
- ToshiGgold Hoyle Nomi chamfered Sri fit 15mm